Part of serving great food is making sure that your ingredients are stored in the best way possible. That’s why it’s important to keep your fridge clean and organized – not only will it help you find what you need, but it will also ensure that dairy, meats, produce and other foods look and smell their best. Not sure how to get started? Our guide will show you how to clean your fridge quickly and easily.
Why should I clean my fridge?
Why should you clean the interior of your refrigerator? Both the refrigerator and freezer sections automatically defrost. Air circulates between both sections, so any odors formed in one section will transfer to the other. You must thoroughly clean both sections to eliminate odors. In addition to cleaning the inside of your fridge, it’s important to clean up the outside as well. For more information, check out our guide on how to clean fridge exteriors.
How to eliminate or reduce refrigerator odors
Cleaning your refrigerator regularly is one of the most effective ways to prevent odors. Here are a few tips for preventing and reducing refrigerator odors:
- Keep foods tightly wrapped or covered. This can also keep food from drying out.
- Wipe spills up immediately.
- Clean both sections about once a month.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer well organized, including the crisper drawers.
- Discard any spoiled or rotten food.
Learn how to remove stubborn odors from your refrigerator.
What should you use to clean the inside of your refrigerator?
You can use the following materials to clean your refrigerator interior:
- A clean sponge or soft cloth.
- Affresh Appliance cleaner or a mild detergent.
Do not use abrasive or harsh cleaners such as window sprays, scouring cleansers, flammable fluids, cleaning waxes, concentrated detergents, bleaches or cleansers containing petroleum products on plastic parts, interior and door liners or gaskets.
How to clean the inside of your Refrigerator
- Remove all food.
- Unplug refrigerator or disconnect power.
- Carefully remove shelves and storage bins from the refrigerator.
• Glass shelves and covers are heavy. Use both hands when removing them to avoid dropping.
- Wash the refrigerator shelves and bins, either by hand or in the dishwasher. Review your Use and Care guide to learn the best way to wash these items.
IMPORTANT: Do not clean glass shelves or covers with warm water when they are cold. Shelves and covers may break if exposed to sudden temperature changes or impact, such as bumping. If tempered glass breaks, it is designed to shatter into many small, pebble-sized pieces.
• Glass shelves and bins are generally dishwasher safe, but hand washing is primarily recommended. If using a dishwasher, place shelves and bins on the top rack. Make sure the shelves and bins have come to room temperature before placing in the dishwasher; to avoid cracking and breaking.
NOTE: Refrigerator shelves with under-shelf, LED lighting are NOT dishwasher safe.
- Hand wash, rinse and dry removable parts and interior surfaces thoroughly.
• Use a clean sponge or soft cloth and a mild detergent in warm water.
• Affresh Appliance cleaner may also be used.
- Plug in refrigerator or reconnect power.
Affresh® cleaners are available online and at many retailers. Find out where to buy Affresh® products near you.
How to clean the drawer and shelf channels inside your refrigerator
Spillovers inside the refrigerator may get into the slide control of the crisper bins or shelves and cause them to stick. If the spillover is heavy, it may be necessary to use a soft cloth and a mild dish soap to clean the frame. To clean drawer or shelf channels:
- Use warm, soapy water and a soft cloth or sponge.
- Thoroughly rinse the channels.
- Completely dry with a soft microfiber cloth.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page. For a visual guide, check out our video below:
HOW TO CLEAN A GLASS TOP STOVE
Keep your glass cooktop looking great with our guide. Learn how to clean a flat top stove with easy steps and simple tools.
HOW TO CLEAN GAS STOVE BURNERS, GRATES AND BURNER CAPS
Your gas stove works best when its burners are clean. Learn how to clean stove burners, grates and burner caps with our step-by-step guide.
HOW TO CLEAN A DISHWASHER
Cleaning a dishwasher can help maintain or improve its performance. Learn how to clean the inside of a dishwasher with vinegar or specialized cleaners.