You’ve put the dishes in the dishwasher, wiped down the counters and put all of your equipment away. Now the only thing standing between you and a clean kitchen is your glass cooktop. If you aren’t sure how to clean a flat top stove or how to remove cooked-on foods from your ceramic glass cooktop, we’re here to help. Follow our guide to learn how to clean your glass electric stove top or cooktop quickly and easily.
How to clean a glass top stove: the basics
Cleaning a glass cooktop isn’t difficult, but it does require some special equipment. Before you get started, make sure you have the following on hand:
Before cleaning your glass cooktop, make sure all of the controls are off and that the cooktop is no longer hot to the touch. Always follow the label instructions on all cleaning products, and do not use steel wool, abrasive powder cleansers, chlorine bleach, rust remover or ammonia. These products could damage your cooktop.
How to clean a glass top stove: step by step instructions
1. Remove food / residue with a scraper designed for ceramic glass cooktops.
- For best results, use the scraper while the cooktop is still warm, but not hot to the touch. It is recommended to wear an oven mitt while scraping the warm cooktop.
- Hold the scraper at approximately a 45° angle against the glass surface and scrape the residue. It will be necessary to apply pressure in order to remove the residue.
- Allow the cooktop to cool down before proceeding to Step 2.
2. Apply a few dime-sized drops of affresh® cooktop cleaner / ceramic glass cooktop cleaner to the affected areas.
Rub the affresh® cleaner onto the cooktop surface with the blue cooktop scrubbing pad. Reasonable pressure is needed to remove stubborn stains.
Allow the cleaner to dry to a white haze before proceeding to Step 3.
3. Polish with a clean, dry cloth or a clean, dry paper towel.
4. Repeat Steps 1 – 3 as necessary for stubborn or burned on stains.
For more information, watch the following video:
HOW TO CLEAN GAS STOVE BURNERS, GRATES AND BURNER CAPS
Your gas stove works best when its burners are clean. Learn how to clean stove burners, grates and burner caps with our step-by-step guide.
HOW TO CLEAN A DISHWASHER
Cleaning a dishwasher can help maintain or improve its performance. Learn how to clean the inside of a dishwasher with vinegar or specialized cleaners.
HOW TO CLEAN A SELF-CLEANING OVEN
How does a self-cleaning oven work? Learn how to use the self-cleaning cycle on your oven so you can keep your appliance looking, smelling and working great.