Creating in the kitchen is a passion and an art. When inspiration strikes, you reach for the right appliance to help turn your vision into reality. You may wonder whether you need a hand mixer or a stand mixer. In truth, the answer is often: why not both?
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HAND MIXERS AND STAND MIXERS
Hand mixers and stand mixers handle some of the same functions, but there are key differences between them. Knowing which mixer is best for each task makes things easier as you create and clean up.
In basic terms, a hand mixer is an electric mixer that you hold in your hand over a bowl. They’re great for small jobs, but your hand and arm can get tired if you need to mix for a long time, or have a larger or stiffer batch of dough. A stand mixer is a heavy-duty electric mixer attached to a stand that sits on a countertop. Stand mixers can also have various attachments that make them a versatile appliance, doing everything from making and cutting pasta to spiraling vegetables or grinding meat.
There are advantages to using each of these appliances in any kitchen. Amateur and professional chefs alike use both hand mixers and stand mixers, depending on which will create the best results.
The Benefits of a Stand Mixer
For even greater versatility, a stand mixer can be a great choice. If you plan to make bread, large batches of cookies, or any type of dough recipes that require longer mix times, a stand mixer will be your go-to for gourmet kitchens and the creative home cooks alike. KitchenAid® stand mixers also have a variety of accessories and attachments to help you expand your culinary aspirations.
- Stand mixers are versatile – One of the main differences between a hand mixer and stand mixer is versatility. KitchenAid® stand mixers have a power hub that allows it to become a multi-use kitchen appliance that does everything from grinding meat to making fresh pasta and ice cream. Check out the Stand Mixer Attachments Guide to see all the ways you can adapt your KitchenAid® stand mixer and turn it into a juicer, spiralizer and more.
- Stand mixers can handle larger batches – Stand mixers are made to handle larger tasks and bigger batches. KitchenAid makes stand mixers that have bowl capacities up to 7 quarts for making dozens of cookies or multiple loaves of bread.
- Stand mixers are great for heavier doughs – By holding the bowl in place, a stand mixer delivers a more even mix for consistent results. If you’re planning to make cookies, bread, rolls, pasta or homemade pretzels, you’ll appreciate the capacity, stability and power of a stand mixer.
- Stand mixers are powerful – With motors that are typically bigger and more powerful than hand mixers, stand mixers are able to churn through thicker doughs, longer mixing times, or power attachments such as a food grinder or pasta roller.
- Stand mixers have more speeds – Most hand mixers have 5 to 9 speeds, while with a stand mixer, you’re likely to find 10. This range of speeds allows for more precision in mixing, whisking, or kneading dough. The higher speeds are great for saving time when whisking together egg whites for meringue or making whipped cream or frosting.
- Stand mixers require less attention – A stand mixer is able to run on its own without being held or supported, which takes some of the physical strain out of cooking and baking. A stand mixer can also allow you to multitask while it churns through ingredients, whereas both hands are required when using a hand mixer.
- Stand mixers look great on your countertop – An iconic KitchenAid® stand mixer on your countertop helps you express your inner Maker. With an array of bold chrome stand mixers, calm black stand mixers, classic red stand mixers, and bright colors to choose from, you can find a stand mixer that perfectly matches your style. With a place on your countertop, your stand mixer will quickly become the culinary center of your kitchen – ready to help you explore your culinary passions, wherever they lead you.
Hand Mixers vs. Stand Mixers: Why Not Both?
Both hand mixers and stand mixers have their place in every kitchen and excel at certain tasks. Consider your cooking style and kitchen space, then choose a mixer that best suits your needs and enables your particular passions. Many people have both a hand mixer for ease and convenience as well as a stand mixer for versatility in their kitchens. Whichever mixer you choose, you’re sure to discover new possibilities.
Or, if you are looking to expand your cooking and baking repertoire with a more versatile appliance, shop our collection of stand mixers to find the perfect one for your kitchen.
make the season bright with great deals on appliances
Learn more about mixing and more
How to Use a Stand Mixer in 9 Easy Steps
This step-by-step guide from KitchenAid will teach you how to use a stand mixer like a pro. Explore new techniques and recipes with these helpful tips.
Stand Mixer Attachment Buying Guide
Learn about the many KitchenAid® stand mixer accessories and attachments so you can dream up your ideal stand mixer and expand your culinary explorations
Blender vs Food Processor
Learn how a food processor is different from a blender and which one is best for each type of kitchen task from making salsa and dips, to icy drinks, soups and smoothies.